Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cookie Time

Two days before Christmas (is that Christmas Eve Eve?) the kids and I decided it was time to bake cookies for Santa.  When I grew up my mom always made sugar cookie dough and gingerbread dough, so that's what I did (isn't it funny how you're drawn to the traditions you grew up with?).  My munchkins had a lot of fun rolling the dough and choosing which cookie cutters to use.  

Here they are hard at work:



After all the cookies had cooled,  I mixed up five colors of icing, sanitized some paint brushes (I mean, I TOTALLY used the proper approved pastry brushes), got out all the sprinkles I could find, and let the kids have at it.


Tralee insisted that Santa wanted a rainbow cookie.  We didn't have a rainbow cookie cutter, so I took a knife to some dough and came up with the cookie below.  Tralee approved of it (phew!), and Santa told her later on in a letter that it was his favorite cookie of the night!


This was the work of Hunty.

Tralee lasted longer than Hunter.  Hunter decorated (if you can call one splotch of red icing on a cookie decorating) one or two cookies, then had enough.  Tralee  helped me till the cookies and icing ran out.




It was a fun cookie filled day!

No comments: