Monday, June 8, 2009

Avocodos? No thanks.

I always claimed to be an avocado lover. I would order sandwiches at restaurants with avocados in them, buy avocados, sprinkle a little salt on them, and eat them plain. However, as I ate, something never did sit quite right. I was never very satisfied after a meal or snack that included avocados, and I wondered why.

Well, I cracked the code today. It was surprisingly simple, and I don't know why I didn't see it before. Here it is:

I don't like avocados.

I realized this as I was eating my lunch today (a pita pocket packed with turkey, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, and yes avocados). With each bite the mushy nuttiness of the dreaded fruit invaded all other flavors and I felt nauseated. I threw in the towel, left my half eaten sandwich uneaten, and stopped denying the truth.

I don't know why I didn't see it before. I think it's because everyone around me loves avocados. Jim especially. But I'm not going to deny it any longer. No more avocados for me, unless of course they're served as guacamole. I think I still like guacamole (as long as there's enough tomatoes and spices to mask the avocado flavor).

That's it.

2 comments:

The Kelly Variety said...

I love them, but they are tingley in my mouth and make my throat swell shut. I wish you had my allergy and I could enjoy them. Of couse I'm not sure I'd like them as well because they've always been tingley in my mouth.

Mary Ann Carlile said...

I am with you - I don't like 'em either. But I like guacamole. I knew we were friends...