Tuesday, April 1, 2008

New Addition

Jim and I love animals. We love them so much in fact that yesterday for FHE we visited a pet shop and adopted a new addition to our family. Jim's always been a fan of reptiles. In fact, he caught two lizards on our honeymoon, and convinced me to let him take them home. We named them Steve and Terri and really enjoyed having them in our home for the six months they lived. So, yesterday when we went to the pet store, we just went in with the mind to look. However, while we were there we met a worker there named Cory. We were looking at the snakes and Cory started talking to us. He let us know that he just got back from serving a second tour in Iraq and he would be getting married soon. However, he had a snake he needed to get rid of, because his future wife HATED it. As a present to her he wanted to find a good home for Bernie, the snake. This is where we came in. Jim started talking about Bernie the snake and fell in love with the concept of taking care of him. Also, Cory told us he would give us EVERYTYHING we needed to take care of his 20 ib snake, and he would come and help us take care of him for the first few weeks, if we needed help.
After accepting the offer, I decided to do some research on Pythons -- the type of snake Bernie is. I guess they can get VERY large and live up to 25 years! I mentioned some concerns to Jim, but he assured me everything would be okay. So, while at the pet store we stocked up on feeder mice, and later last night Cory brought Bernie to our home. He also brought Bernie's aquarium, and instructions. I have to admit, I was a little excited about our new addition. The only problem is, the larger Bernie gets, the more tasty Corky, our dog, might look to him. So, we'll have to make sure Corky doesn't get too close to Bernie. Other than that, our first night with a snake went well. Oh. . . I almost forgot the most important thing about Bernie. April Fools! I would NEVER want a big ol' snake. So there you go! ;)

6 comments:

Boom said...

I was pretty sure there was going to be an "April Fools" at the end of that one or I would have definately taken care of the snake when I got there. I always wanted to try snake soup! Love, Mom

Mary Ann Carlile said...

You had me there for a minute, but the more I read, the more I realized you would NEVER had that big ol' ugly snake in your home! Let alone outside your home;)

Lauren said...

I'm so glad you don't really have a python!! Phew. You had me for a second :-)

Meagan said...

You are hilarious! I was thinking that you were crazy to have a twenty pound snake. I'm glad you are not though. Secretly, I kinda like snakes, but I don't think I would actually have one in the house.

Timber Mountain said...

Leslie, this is Jim (your husband)... anyways, now I really do want a snake. Please get one for me!!!! Thanks, Jim (your husband)

*Abby* said...

you got me! Eeewww! I hate snakes! Devn had one when we were dating and I hated it.